SE Compatibility Tracking (Jul 1)

11 minutes ago, esserius said:

AreYouThereSE doesn't work with the latest version of SkyrimSE. Just causes a CTD right now.

The dll needs to be updated, apparently the dll source code in included with the LE version, so if someone has the knowledge....

Does anyone know of ctd in Riverwood. I can go anywhere else in Skyrim but every time I try to enter Riverwood CTD. Here is copy of load order. I have removed Fox club and Ponytail club but still get CTD. Its probably a mesh in one of the mods but having so many makes it hard to find. i am wondering if someone has identified problam previously.

Thanks.

Everyone should stop converting form versions until more information becomes available as to when and why it is necessary.  No solid technical reasons currently exist to do so, just anecdotal conjecture about random save game corruption and CTDs, both of which Skyrim has been victim to since before SSE was a thing.  Correlation does not imply causation.  Maybe more data eventually will surface to better identify when/if this is ever really needed, but it is likely the exception vs the rule if at all.  The SSE game engine supports form version 15 thru 44, and all the vanilla files contain form versions spanning that entire range.  Look in xedit for yourself if you don't believe me.  If the form version mattered as much as you think it does, these SSE ESM files should be a uniform version 44 throughout all the data elements.

Yes, there are data type differences in version 44 structure, but that's why those elements have version numbers...so the game engine can tell things apart and handle the data appropriately.  Version 43 data in a version 43 form type is totally legitimate in that format and needs no alterations for SSE.  All you're doing by converting 43 to 44 is making the plugin incompatible with LE.  Leaving the plugin as version 43 allows it to be compatible with both.  If the mod didn't start out as version 44, it probably doesn't need to become version 44.

If anecdotal info is what you want, I have dozens of self-converted mods that are still version 43.  I frequently converse with other mod users that also use similar v43 conversions.  These mods appear to work just fine.  I actually have had better success with mod conversions I've done myself than many of those I'm finding uploaded recently.  The only confirmed issues/barriers to compatibility are meshes, textures, BSA versions, DLL's and the odd function that doesn't behave the same way as it did in LE.  Scripts almost never need changes unless resources/plugins were renamed between versions, or something is looking for a too narrowly defined version.  About the only thing that you should be doing with the CK and any given LE plugin is exporting the facegen so it is 100% SE compatible.  Mod conversions posted by 3rd parties should only comprise these modified resources.  Leave the plugin file out and let downloaders obtain those from the original author/current maintainer.

What mod authors should really be doing to be more compatible with SSE is compacting their form ID's so they are compatible for ESL conversion...not master plugins, just the endcap mods that you might consider merging.  Those mods that are at 2047 and fewer form ID's are eligible.  I don't know how these tiny mods end up having ID's spread so far apart, but this step should be performed by the primary mod maintainer so future changes don't lead to numbering differences that can't be accounted for by doing it ourselves.  Pick a version and compact.  Use that version for all future updates and additions.

5 hours ago, BigOnes69 said:

Does anyone know of ctd in Riverwood. I can go anywhere else in Skyrim but every time I try to enter Riverwood CTD. Here is copy of load order. I have removed Fox club and Ponytail club but still get CTD. Its probably a mesh in one of the mods but having so many makes it hard to find. i am wondering if someone has identified problam previously.

Thanks.

Do you have high poly mod?

6 hours ago, 4nk8r said:
Spoiler

Everyone should stop converting form versions until more information becomes available as to when and why it is necessary.  No solid technical reasons currently exist to do so, just anecdotal conjecture about random save game corruption and CTDs, both of which Skyrim has been victim to since before SSE was a thing.  Correlation does not imply causation.  Maybe more data eventually will surface to better identify when/if this is ever really needed, but it is likely the exception vs the rule if at all.  The SSE game engine supports form version 15 thru 44, and all the vanilla files contain form versions spanning that entire range.  Look in xedit for yourself if you don't believe me.  If the form version mattered as much as you think it does, these SSE ESM files should be a uniform version 44 throughout all the data elements.

Yes, there are data type differences in version 44 structure, but that's why those elements have version numbers...so the game engine can tell things apart and handle the data appropriately.  Version 43 data in a version 43 form type is totally legitimate in that format and needs no alterations for SSE.  All you're doing by converting 43 to 44 is making the plugin incompatible with LE.  Leaving the plugin as version 43 allows it to be compatible with both.  If the mod didn't start out as version 44, it probably doesn't need to become version 44.

If anecdotal info is what you want, I have dozens of self-converted mods that are still version 43.  I frequently converse with other mod users that also use similar v43 conversions.  These mods appear to work just fine.  I actually have had better success with mod conversions I've done myself than many of those I'm finding uploaded recently.  The only confirmed issues/barriers to compatibility are meshes, textures, BSA versions, DLL's and the odd function that doesn't behave the same way as it did in LE.  Scripts almost never need changes unless resources/plugins were renamed between versions, or something is looking for a too narrowly defined version.  About the only thing that you should be doing with the CK and any given LE plugin is exporting the facegen so it is 100% SE compatible.  Mod conversions posted by 3rd parties should only comprise these modified resources.  Leave the plugin file out and let downloaders obtain those from the original author/current maintainer.

What mod authors should really be doing to be more compatible with SSE is compacting their form ID's so they are compatible for ESL conversion...not master plugins, just the endcap mods that you might consider merging.  Those mods that are at 2047 and fewer form ID's are eligible.  I don't know how these tiny mods end up having ID's spread so far apart, but this step should be performed by the primary mod maintainer so future changes don't lead to numbering differences that can't be accounted for by doing it ourselves.  Pick a version and compact.  Use that version for all future updates and additions.

+1 for not converting forms.

Many LE mods from here work fine in SE without having to do anything. Only mods that are more than scripts and an esp, actually need converting. I've started to cringe whenever I see comments on Nexus complaining and harrasing mod authors over form 44...

As for ESL, I don't get its importance, I end up merging patches and tiny mods -esp/esl doesn't matter. But recently a personal merge mod I had flagged as ESL got too big and it was Loot that threw me an error saying there's too much data in it for an ESL. No idea if ESL limitations have to do with the total number of entries or is it about staying within a certain range of ID numbers (as you said).

47 minutes ago, ssskn said:

+1 for not converting forms.

Many LE mods from here work fine in SE without having to do anything. Only mods that are more than scripts and an esp, actually need converting. I've started to cringe whenever I see comments on Nexus complaining and harrasing mod authors over form 44...

As for ESL, I don't get its importance, I end up merging patches and tiny mods -esp/esl doesn't matter. But recently a personal merge mod I had flagged as ESL got too big and it was Loot that threw me an error saying there's too much data in it for an ESL. No idea if ESL limitations have to do with the total number of entries or is it about staying within a certain range of ID numbers (as you said).

ESL don't count against the normal esp/esm mod count, so they expand your mod list by up to 4096 plugin files (theoretical, depends on total form ID's cumulatively added via ESLs...614k max form ID's).  No need to merge if you're using ESLs.  Only caveat seems to be related to mods that introduce totally new cells.  If an ESL introduces new cell records, and that ESL isn't the very 1st loaded ESL (FE000), and then if that cell is then overwritten by another plugin/patch, the temporary references from those new cells won't appear in game.  Just check the mods to see if they add new cells and avoid converting them if they do.  ESL's are limited to 2048 unique form ID's per plugin.  Plugins/overrides/patches that redefine previously defined form ID's (meaning the actual form ID number stays the same) don't count.  We're talking about new records.

7 hours ago, RodVoigt said:

Do you have high poly mod?

I limited everything to 2k instead of 4k. But I have a high end machine thats more than the limitations of the Skyrim engine. Are there specific high poly mods that cause problems in Riverwood? I have literally had no problems going anywhere else.

4 hours ago, BigOnes69 said:

I limited everything to 2k instead of 4k. But I have a high end machine thats more than the limitations of the Skyrim engine. Are there specific high poly mods that cause problems in Riverwood? I have literally had no problems going anywhere else.

I was crashing near riverwood, then i reinstalled everything but the game still ctd. I disabled high poly and static mesh improvement mod and it worked again.

9 hours ago, BigOnes69 said:

Could be a NPC with missing textures. You can try to find the problematic Riverwood NPC by loading them one by one. It's most likely gonna be NPC that has a makeover.

console (`) then player.placeatme xxxIDxxx>> find NPC IDs in the link below

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Riverwood

When I was just starting skyrim this was the biggest issue that got me... I ended up abandoning a 90h save, cuz I didn't know any better. Yet the fix was so simple...

13 hours ago, 4nk8r said:

ESL don't count against the normal esp/esm mod count, so they expand your mod list by up to 4096 plugin files (theoretical, depends on total form ID's cumulatively added via ESLs...614k max form ID's).  No need to merge if you're using ESLs.  Only caveat seems to be related to mods that introduce totally new cells.  If an ESL introduces new cell records, and that ESL isn't the very 1st loaded ESL (FE000), and then if that cell is then overwritten by another plugin/patch, the temporary references from those new cells won't appear in game.  Just check the mods to see if they add new cells and avoid converting them if they do.  ESL's are limited to 2048 unique form ID's per plugin.  Plugins/overrides/patches that redefine previously defined form ID's (meaning the actual form ID number stays the same) don't count.  We're talking about new records.

? That's a good primer on ESLs.

On 1/5/2020 at 3:02 PM, BigOnes69 said:

Thanks.

You need to look at what's editing Riverwood. Maria Eden doesn't make any edits in Riverwood that I'm aware of. Zaira is switching to SE so my conversion may very soon be obsolete, and taken down when they get their new SE version uploaded.  If you think the issue is with Maria Eden, please post issues on that help page so you can get more direct help.

On 1/5/2020 at 2:01 PM, 4nk8r said:

Agree. Also working with CK is cancerous isnt it?

7 hours ago, nomkaz said:

You need to look at what's editing Riverwood. Maria Eden doesn't make any edits in Riverwood that I'm aware of. Zaira is switching to SE so my conversion may very soon be obsolete, and taken down when they get their new SE version uploaded.  If you think the issue is with Maria Eden, please post issues on that help page so you can get more direct help.

I pretty much eliminated ME. Its nice to know Zaira is converting. I was going to pm him to recommend but its not needed now. ME runs a lot better on SE than LE.

On 1/6/2020 at 2:01 AM, 4nk8r said:

When I compact Form ID and then make ESP plugin ESL-flagged, I pretty damn often face situations when simple wig (with 31 and 41 slot) force-unequip unrelated slots like body armor or boots. I don't trust ESL, be it true ESL made within Creation Kit or flagged as ESL in xEdit