>.> are the nexus servers run on a potatoe?

Dude500X

Guest Ragna_Rok

what about this one here? i wonder how long until "bigdaddy" gets banned :D  -->

attachicon.gifjust saying.jpg

Wow, I think I can hear the <<!!SWOOSH!!>> of the swinging banhammer from this side of the pond! :o

surprisingly nothing happened... yet ... uh .. except ... well ... a certain friend of mine ... got a famous visitor :D two visitors in total , and one is the big-(dick)-cheese himself ... i smell fame and glory :)

post-302208-0-21320900-1390429231_thumb.jpg

Guest Ragna_Rok

this one is funny... ---> http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/1316962-downloading-and-file-serving-changes/page-12

DarkOnes reply:

i always use ad-blockers, since they were created. i dont see any problem with that, mainly because there isnt any. after all its important to also think about why i do that, its because over the years lots of sites went from being "fan-based" to "businesses aimed solely on profit", the result was that pretty much every pixel available was used to bomb you with advertisings.

You haven't actually explained why it's OK to do that. If you don't like what a particular site does, the way it works or what it places on the sites then the solution is to not use that site. The solution isn't to leech. The only reason why leeching is a solution is because you can do it, and you can get away with doing it. That's not a good reason to do it. It's simply a reason. To me, it goes hand-in-hand with what's called the free-rider problem. If everyone did what you did then this site would NOT exist. So why is it right, and why is there nothing wrong, with what you are doing?

Similarly to go ad-free on the Nexus, for life, on all sites, it costs £1.29 (about $2). That's the actual alternative to ads, not ad blockers.

Frankly, I much prefer the security angle for the benefit of adblockers and if you'd have approached it from that angle I'd be much more obliged to respect your point of view on the topic. Your current point of view I do not respect at all.

but sites that heavily rely on the income generated by this arent fanbases or there for any community, theyre simply enterprises. enterprises look for profits, and the profit that i generated for the game was transferred to bethesda when i bought the game. if the servers would run better im sure more people would invest some money here and there in the nexus. but like this?

Massive over-generalisations. First of all, the site heavily relies on advertising and premium membership because it costs a crazy amount of money to pay for. This is a bandwidth intensive site using 41 servers (the number goes up each month) across 3 continents and pushing 3.5GBit of bandwidth a second. If you can't understand why that costs a lot of money, and why we rely on ads and Premium Membership to pay for it, then you really shouldn't be here talking about this subject at all. I'd recommend reading my previous news posts that have gone in to great, great detail about the effect of ad blockers on the sites, why we need ads, why we need Premium membership, and why the servers are currently unreliable. I wrote over 20,000 words on the topic last year alone. You clearly haven't read them as you're here counter-acting the very things I've explained in detail.

By your concept of an enterprise and not being there for the community, the National Trust (a charity in the UK setup to maintain physical sites of historic significance who charge entry fees and advertise to pay for the upkeep of said sites) would be considered a greedy enterprise who "aren't there for the community". Frankly, the thinking is just plain daft.

and what about the people that should really participate in the generated income... the modders? after all their files cause the most traffic, thus generate the most income. if im leeching traffic here, than the whole site basically leeches from the work of the modders, last time i looked it up nexus didnt donate even a single dollar / euro / british pound to even the people causing thousands of downloads / clicks here. isnt that correct? that the nexus-mods page leeches from the mods that were created by our real heroes, namely the modders?

And in turn the mod authors (who aren't Premium Members) didn't pay a single dime towards the upkeep of the sites, or towards the 10s of thousands of hours of work I alone have put in to these sites over the past 12 years, or towards the other staff who have dedicated even more thousands of hours to the upkeep and maintenance of the sites. Some mods have used 100s of Terabytes of bandwidth alone which would run them up thousands of dollars worth of bills if they tried to self-host. That's the whole point of the Nexus. We make it easier for modders to publish their work and take on all the hosting costs and distribution work. People upload their mods to the Nexus fully aware that they are not being paid to do so. Indeed, when the topic was discussed in the mod author forums a couple of years ago there was a very clear message from a large majority of mod authors: mod authors being paid for their work would destroy the community that currently exists around modding. I agree with them. I wouldn't begrudge any mod authors who would want to be paid for their work, however. It just won't be happening on the Nexus. We use the money we get simply to buy more servers and staff.

Really, it sounds like you're trying to justify your use of adblockers by resenting the fact these sites necessarily require money in order to operate. Gone are the days when people using adblockers bothered me.  But I'm still very, very much irked by people who use adblockers and think they're absolutely entitled to do it, openly discuss their right to do it, and that their actions don't have a detrimental effect on the sites they visit. They do.  I understand why you do it; you do it because ads are inconvenient to your browsing experience just like ads on TV are inconvenient to your viewing of a TV show. However, if the Nexus and other independently run sites cease to exist due to a lack of funding you'd actually end up relying on the companies you seem to so despise so much. You'd have to rely on mega-corporations like Valve, who use modding as a means-to-an-end and run their service as a loss maker in order to shift more of their main product, or corporations that have taken on investors in order to fund their services and would, ergo, answer first to investors rather to their users. The alternative is what we had back in 2002-2005 with Morrowind; constantly jumping between independently run mod hosting sites that would quickly expand and then explode under the strain of traffic and the expenses required in order to operate at the higher levels of traffic they were hitting, losing hundreds of unique mods each time in the process. Frankly, I see that as a bigger inconvenience than the ads on this site.

Your use of adblockers doesn't bother me, but your arrogance and ignorance on the topic does.

EDIT: i just colored dork's text in shit-brown. after all its only crap he talks, it shouldnt be in white.

Guest Ragna_Rok

directly under that one (i add here so you dont have to click on nexus) :D

someone should give that speedy dude tons of likes / kudos / cookies / stuff like that

post-302208-0-66697900-1390430435_thumb.jpg

Guest Ragna_Rok

hm... lets see what happens. bigdaddy (and the empire) striked back :D

post-302208-0-52525900-1390432092_thumb.jpg

ps: corespore just earned 2 random likes for joining my "Dork-1-Week" :) ... nice done :D

Guest Ragna_Rok

i will check tomorrow for bans... nighty night :)

(if no ban then i guess its time for a real cheap-shot... that allmighty fucknugget could use one :D)

ps: hes such a moron that i could crush him in a debate while being fucking drunk. to not look arrogant im honestly obliged to state that this isnt difficult

How that guy can be an admin when he doesn't has any respect for his users?

Also the site starting to run like shit yesterday and i figure they are still expandind their game list when i cannot open any image from their shitty servers, some of them unmoddeable for odd reason like Jade Empires

again sorry my english but im really frustrated right now

yup is there, and pretty much is ummodeable for what i heard, the mods are only model swap with hex editing or some trainers, you can't import new models into the game or change textures, the only thing moddeable is the music XD
the music is in ogg file and you can replace with anything if you don't like it with any music conversor
http://www.nexusmods.com/jadeempire/?

Anyway is pretty hard that this page get some interest for modders and users alike

Also you can view their entire selections of game here
http://www.nexusmods.com/games/about/games/?

Again sorry my english

Guest Ragna_Rok

Does this have something to do with you ??? http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/50256/?

Nope... funny though, close to my name, and im also werewolf fan... but tbh i side with the empire ;) ... must be a regular small script-quest, the file is so small that all the "enhanced weapons" can only be regular ones with either improved stats or godlike enchantments.

even i think its nothing special im gonna take a look though, just for the name :)

thx for the tip, nice from you... i herewith name you "Favorite Bloodsucker Number 1"! now go out and bann 200 people, you didnt reach your daily quota yet :D

Guest Ragna_Rok

*yoink!* ... i just noticed (while giving some pep-talk to the mod-rookie, rookies should always be encouraged to continue modding, its the future for the time when old bastards like me stop producing stuff ;) ) ... that lord trigger happy himself checked ... uh... i mean, bigdaddys profile. that daddy must have used a smart way of expressing.

with dork1 and that (blood-)sucker on his trails im sure they were already looking for a reason to waste his ass... seems they didnt find any yet :D

what a shame :lol: :lol: :lol:

Archived