2 hours ago, Crashdown117 said:

they'll get TS4 back on track sooner

I passed on both Fallen Order and Squadrons. I can't be one of those to reward EA considering their past behavior - Gotta stick to my guns for now.

As for the Sims 4, I hate to say it but it's already been the 'longest running' of the Sims series, and I believe that also has to do with EA figuring out how to best monetize and manipulate the Sims 5 given the recent issues they're having legally. The game itself is likely done, but the platform and mechanics to get people to spend are what is holding it up. Plus with it being online - like other IP's famous for having player mods before going 'online' - the ability to customize will be ripped from the users and will have to depend on the good will of EA.

It's not enough to make money on the sandbox - now they want to charge for the sand - every fuckin' grain of it.

>FYI - I used to support EA since the 80's, on my Commodore64 - thru the 90's and then even in the early 2000's. Now they are out of control - I can see it clear as day.

10 hours ago, landess said:

I passed on both Fallen Order and Squadrons. I can't be one of those to reward EA considering their past behavior - Gotta stick to my guns for now.

Gotta respect that. I only went to get Fallen Order AFTER I had already seen and experienced what I would get. Maybe that made me cave when Squadrons came, as I'm a sucker for that kind of games (like X-Wing, Freespace and all the other gems from back then).

Still, an EA logo on a game should really be considered some kind of a warning sign these days.

11 hours ago, landess said:

As for the Sims 4, I hate to say it but it's already been the 'longest running' of the Sims series, and I believe that also has to do with EA figuring out how to best monetize and manipulate the Sims 5 given the recent issues they're having legally. The game itself is likely done, but the platform and mechanics to get people to spend are what is holding it up. Plus with it being online - like other IP's famous for having player mods before going 'online' - the ability to customize will be ripped from the users and will have to depend on the good will of EA.

You're probably right about that, and maybe TS4 has already been running for too long actually. The next installment in the series will most likely suck and it'll be even more of a cash grabbing machine, given the way EA treats players nowadays.

The thing is, despite them always taking the path of least resistance (workload-wise) and apparently trying to minimize their effort, they're still working on this fourth entry into the main series to some extent. Whether they do this, because they plan to re-use a lot of stuff in Sims 5 (would be pretty much like them, I'd say), because they feel the need to look good to somebody (doubt that), or just because they want to test the limits and see what they can get away with (like some 12y.o.), I don't know. They might as well decide to re-brand TS4, call it "Sims Forever" or some other bullshit name, and keep doing what they do now.

I'm not sure if we can really say that EA is "out of control" (however, I'm afraid they will be one day), but they're certainly not doing themselves a favor.

On 11/17/2020 at 1:24 AM, landess said:

It's not enough to make money on the sandbox - now they want to charge for the sand - every fuckin' grain of it.

>FYI - I used to support EA since the 80's, on my Commodore64 - thru the 90's and then even in the early 2000's. Now they are out of control - I can see it clear as day.

Think right now stuff like Batuu is to cater to Disney in attempt to keep the practically monopoly they more or less have on Star wars video games which is likely going to be going up for negotiation soon again. imagine EA want to avoid other publishers from having possibility of making star wars game. Since this would obviously let people if they're not happy with the Star wars they're getting to look for greener pastures. Call me a pessimist but I honestly think that is likely what is going on, since Batuu feels more like a Disney service than anything made for the customers, I did end against my better judgement buying it while it was on 50% discount. Mostly with slim hope we would get some mods eventually that would make it a better pack, but right now I am gonna to put what hope I have down to full body alien skins.

But yah have not bought neither Fallen order or squadrons either, heard some say fallen order is good but I dunno. Kinda feel like were getting a couple decent things on occasions now mostly, because EA is likely looking to keep hold on some publishing rights for star wars video games.

Think as soon as that is out the way it's likely going to be really trimmed star wars cut to pieces to be sold of as DLC rather than full game release with broad gameplay, then of course likely with live services so they can milk as much money as humanly possible out of you.

1 hour ago, Khaine2000DK said:

likely with live services so they can milk as much money as humanly possible out of you.

As if EA could be bothered by such petty limits. They'll go beyond "human" and "humane" levels with the money-milking - sooner, rather than later.

1 hour ago, Khaine2000DK said:

heard some say fallen order is good but I dunno

Fallen Order is good, but it could be better. However, that's not because it's an EA game, but simply because development was rushed (and late game content suffers from that, much like KotOR2 did). Respawn still did a solid job with FO, and a sequel would probably be the only EA product I would pre-order.

On the other hand, it was pretty much the only decent game EA published recently, IMO - not just in the Star Wars department, but in general.

8 hours ago, Khaine2000DK said:

Think right now stuff like Batuu is to cater to Disney in attempt to keep the practically monopoly they more or less have on Star wars video games

I agree 100% and voiced this thought on page 5 of this post.

On 9/6/2020 at 10:51 AM, FauxFurry said:

They couldn't just make Star Wars Aliens a new type of occult like EA Maxis' own aliens. They are just garments like the other Star Wars things added by a free update.

I didn't expect much yet they managed to underwhelm me anyway. That takes some real doing.

Kinda suspect it was a decision they probably made to reuse the spawned sims other places, since they could just take off outfit and walk around like normal sims outside Batuu, but kinda kills immersion of the place if you have aliens not really being aliens. I mean they did give both vampires and aliens disguises too so guessing that is why they did it, my honest opinion is they should made this a spin off instead of actually including it as a pack and made it more interesting.

4 hours ago, Khaine2000DK said:

Kinda suspect it was a decision they probably made to reuse the spawned sims other places, since they could just take off outfit and walk around like normal sims outside Batuu,

If TS4 didn't prefer creating new NPC Sims for everything (including random people walking down the street) over re-using existing Sims, such a decision might have made sense. WIthout their alien masks, some of these Sims do actually look rather decent and would blend in very well - especially in neighborhoods/worlds like San Myshuno (where SW aliens also wouldn't surprise me, tbh).

Their names, however, would still make them stand out, because they're either very Star Wars (which is good for Batuu's context) or just trooper IDs (First Order soldiers). Plus, if you befriend one of them and invite them over to your place, wouldn't you rather have them look the same across all worlds? Imagine a guy being a green Twi'lek on Batuu, but some Scandinavian looking fellow otherwise. Weird, right?

And since their alien appearance is just a costume (and not even a full-body one), there's no need for a disguise or a new life state. The way those "aliens" are done is really just more proof that Batuu is supposed to be a theme park, in my eyes.

By the way, the spin-off idea has also been elaborated a couple of pages ago in this very thread. Guess, this topic has become a case of TL;DR for anyone late to the party ?