Better NPC Support for Devious Devices

• 3 months later...

This is probably one of the best DD support mods out there, wrt its simplicity and the functionality it provides

It's said not to be compatible as is with SSE, but the SE Compatibility Tracking Page shows it as 'Convertible'

Has anyone ported it to function in SE, and might be willing to let @Kharos post it here / get perms to post it as an SE version?

8 hours ago, donkeywho said:

This is probably one of the best DD support mods out there, wrt its simplicity and the functionality it provides

It's said not to be compatible as is with SSE, but the SE Compatibility Tracking Page shows it as 'Convertible'

Has anyone ported it to function in SE, and might be willing to let @Kharos post it here / get perms to post it as an SE version?

Works fine as-is. Only scripts and a plugin.  Nothing to be converted, unless you're a form 44 cultist.

16 hours ago, donkeywho said:

Thanks!

That's good to know!

Full disclosure:  I have it installed, but I don't usually end up utilizing its features during play, so it's possible there may be a bug or 2 in SE that doesn't effect it in LE.  Nothing obvious so far, at least.

9 hours ago, 4nk8r said:

Full disclosure:  I have it installed, but I don't usually end up utilizing its features during play, so it's possible there may be a bug or 2 in SE that doesn't effect it in LE.  Nothing obvious so far, at least.

Thanks ... I think   LOL

I'm adding it into a new game - and SE setup, which has taken FOREVER to do ...

Going to be away for a week or so from now, so will have to wait till i get back to check ?

• 1 month later...

I've run into a problem where this mod is convinced one of my followers has a leg cuffs device equipped,  but they actually have no such device on them. from the bikini armors mod thigh armors go into that slot, and they will equip it for a moment until the mod has their way with them and fixes them so they unequip it, they also do not actually equip any devices when this fix happens because they are not wearing any. so they end up not actually wearing anything on that slot. They can actually wear stuff on that slot but only if I actually give them a leg cuff device to wear.

The other way to get them to wear armors in that slot is to disable this mod on the MCM, which is a shame because I quite like this mod.

Managed to fix whatever device was bugged by using DDe to equip a new set of leg cuffs, since this mod has extra support for DDe's way of equipping stuff it overrides the bug and after removing the device with a key the slot is working properly for armor again. Just manually equipping leg cuffs wasn't releasing the slot but this did the trick.

EDIT:

Actually nevermind, it's still bugged, I only thought i was fixed but the mod was just kind of stuck on

[DDNF] Postponing fixup of 54001827 Sofia by 1.000000 s (slowing down to reduce script load).

which made the armor slot available to be equipped because the mod here wasn't interfering

as for what I actually get when the mod runs proper

[DDNF] Aborted fixing up devices of 54001827 Sofia and rescheduled (unable to equip device).

Which only really tells me  it's looking for a device but isn't finding it, because the follower doesn't have the device but it's still not releasing the slot for armor

The only other solution I can think would be to somehow give the follower every  single device and then see if DDNF finds it and equip it and then I can finally remove it and fix the buggy armor slot.

Edited by ttpt
  • 1 month later...
On 9/22/2021 at 5:50 AM, ttpt said:

Managed to fix whatever device was bugged by using DDe to equip a new set of leg cuffs, since this mod has extra support for DDe's way of equipping stuff it overrides the bug and after removing the device with a key the slot is working properly for armor again. Just manually equipping leg cuffs wasn't releasing the slot but this did the trick.

EDIT:

Actually nevermind, it's still bugged, I only thought i was fixed but the mod was just kind of stuck on

[DDNF] Postponing fixup of 54001827 Sofia by 1.000000 s (slowing down to reduce script load).

which made the armor slot available to be equipped because the mod here wasn't interfering

as for what I actually get when the mod runs proper

[DDNF] Aborted fixing up devices of 54001827 Sofia and rescheduled (unable to equip device).

Which only really tells me  it's looking for a device but isn't finding it, because the follower doesn't have the device but it's still not releasing the slot for armor

The only other solution I can think would be to somehow give the follower every  single device and then see if DDNF finds it and equip it and then I can finally remove it and fix the buggy armor slot.

This sounds like a "rendered device" was left in the NPC inventory but the matching "inventory device" was missing. Unfortunately my mod can currently not recognize that situation, and it will make things worse by re-equipping the "rendered device" even if you somehow manage to unequip it. The best solution that I currently know is finding the offending armor with the console and removing it. You can make your life easier in such situations by first opening the trade window and taking all equipment that you can see, it makes finding the offending armor easier.

On 9/25/2021 at 6:30 PM, MrsBelch said:

Is it possible to expand mod functionality in this way: while scanning NPCs for DD items equipped also equip DD sets to female NPCs?

No, the scanner searches for NPCs that have DDs equipped using the matching keywords. It will not even see NPCs that have no DDs equipped.

You are basically asking for a re-implementation of the old (removed) mod "DD for the masses", right?

Also I have made some internal changes and improvements over the last few days, I am attaching a beta build with the changes.

Changelog:

Version 0.4 beta 1
- Add support for unequipping "weapon on back" display armors, currently supports "All Geared Up Derivative"
- Some minor performance optimizations

Version 0.4 beta 2
- Add special handling for panel gags
- One more very minor performance optimizatio

Version 0.4 beta 3
- Check keywords of all devices, not just the ones with magic effects
- Use StorageUtil to speed up analysis of equipped devices by caching information for each "rendered device" that is encountered

Edited by Kharos

More beta changes:

Version 0.4 beta 4
- Add option to clear all cached data to MCM; this can be used for example after an update to DD that changes keywords of existing devices (not expected)
- Apply code changes to reduce the chance of race conditions leading to wrong animation sets or orphaned rendered devices

Version 0.5 beta 5
- Further refactoring to improve performance and to make the mod more reactive on changes to NPC inventory by player (container menu)

I cannot rule out that @ttpt 's problem was caused by a race condition between unequipping the device and my mod trying to refresh devices. My code changes should reduce the chance of this happening again by making the window for the race condition much smaller (should now be a single frame).

[Edit]

Updated this post from beta 4 to beta 5. I think this is starting to look good, it works in my tests and is flexible enough that it should be possible to build a public API on top of it. Note that there are no major changes in functionality, just small tweaks to make it a bit more reactive.

Edited by Kharos

I just deleted the beta builds from the above posts and made a "real" update instead, version 0.4 is officially out.

The mod still largely does the same as before, but I hope that it will feel a bit more "snappy" doing so, and I tried to fix a few rare issues that could result in bad behavior. Cumulative changelog from 0.3 to 0.4 is:

• Add support for unequipping "weapon on back" display armors, currently supports "All Geared Up Derivative".
  • Add special handling for panel gags.
  • Check keywords of all devices, not just the ones with magic effects.
  • Use StorageUtil to speed up analysis of equipped devices by caching information for each "rendered device" that is encountered.
  • Add option to clear all cached data to MCM; this can be used for example after an update to DD that changes keywords of existing devices (not expected).
  • Apply code changes to reduce the chance of race conditions leading to wrong animation sets or orphaned rendered devices.
  • Further refactoring to improve performance and to make the mod more reactive on changes to NPC inventory by player.
  • Add more information to MCM: Show tracking id and equipped devices of NPC under crosshair.
  • Add DDNF_ExternalApi.psc to support other mods getting or equipping devices.
Edited by Kharos
37 minutes ago, Kharos said:

I just deleted the beta builds from the above posts and made a "real" update instead, version 0.4 is officially out.

The mod still largely does the same as before, but I hope that it will feel a bit more "snappy" doing so, and I tried to fix a few rare issues that could result in bad behavior. Cumulative changelog from 0.3 to 0.4 is:

• Add support for unequipping "weapon on back" display armors, currently supports "All Geared Up Derivative".
  • Add special handling for panel gags.
  • Check keywords of all devices, not just the ones with magic effects.
  • Use StorageUtil to speed up analysis of equipped devices by caching information for each "rendered device" that is encountered.
  • Add option to clear all cached data to MCM; this can be used for example after an update to DD that changes keywords of existing devices (not expected).
  • Apply code changes to reduce the chance of race conditions leading to wrong animation sets or orphaned rendered devices.
  • Further refactoring to improve performance and to make the mod more reactive on changes to NPC inventory by player.
  • Add more information to MCM: Show tracking id and equipped devices of NPC under crosshair.
  • Add DDNF_ExternalApi.psc to support other mods getting or equipping devices.

Thanks very much.  This has 'Essential Mod' status in my Load Order!

I used this for months on LE successfully, and prior versions, as advised by others, also have worked with no probs on SSE

I know little of the tech side so, before I try it, do you think that this is also likely to also work on SSE without any issues?

TIA for any help that anyone can offer ....

1 hour ago, donkeywho said:

Thanks very much.  This has 'Essential Mod' status in my Load Order!

I used this for months on LE successfully, and prior versions, as advised by others, also have worked with no probs on SSE

I know little of the tech side so, before I try it, do you think that this is also likely to also work on SSE without any issues?

TIA for any help that anyone can offer ....

Technically the main difference (other than rewriting/refactoring a lot of scripts) is that I am now using StorageUtil to cache some data. StorageUtil is part of PapyrusUtil and included with Sexlab, which is a dependency of DD, so it does not need to be installed separately.

As far as I know the situation is the same in SE, so I expect things to work as before. Since I am not using SE I am not able to test this theory, somebody else will have to do that. Please make a new savegame before testing such that you have a known good state that you can go back to if something does not work.

Edited by Kharos
48 minutes ago, Kharos said:

Technically the main difference (other than rewriting/refactoring a lot of scripts) is that I am now using StorageUtil to cache some data. StorageUtil is part of PapyrusUtil and included with Sexlab, which is a dependency of DD, so it does not need to be installed separately.

As far as I know the situation is the same in SE, so I expect things to work as before. Since I am not using SE I am not able to test this theory, somebody else will have to do that. Please make a new savegame before testing such that you have a known good state that you can go back to if something does not work.

Thanks for the prompt reply!  When I do get to a point to try that out, if no-one else has already got back to you by then, I'll let you know what happens

On 11/12/2021 at 12:43 PM, Kharos said:

This sounds like a "rendered device" was left in the NPC inventory but the matching "inventory device" was missing. Unfortunately my mod can currently not recognize that situation, and it will make things worse by re-equipping the "rendered device" even if you somehow manage to unequip it. The best solution that I currently know is finding the offending armor with the console and removing it. You can make your life easier in such situations by first opening the trade window and taking all equipment that you can see, it makes finding the offending armor easier.

I forget what LE console mod I had but it does allow you to see the rendered devices DD has equipped, and it really wasn't a rendered device. Also I thought I had fixed it with DDe and other things, but it didn't actually fix it, My LE game though has seen exploded for different reasons, so I don't really have to worry about this particular companion having that one bugged DD armor slot.

I actually even went to you github back then and compiled a version 0.4 you had there at the time to see if it fixed it, it didn't, clean saving also didn't seem to put a dent on the problem, I imagine maybe some data is saved on the skse co save, but there's no way to figure that out.

My only real suggestion would be to maybe add a button that would forcibly remove all DD items from a target to hopefully reset any lingering devices that would be stuck, but I don't know how much work this would be to implement.

In any case, even with this one device stuck on a companion and the possibility of further devices being stuck on companions or NPCs, I still kept using your mod cause it is just such a quality of life improvement as far as companions and devices are concerned, makes then actually have an effect as oppose to just being cosmetic.

I've since moved on to SSE and do have your mod on it, but I haven't had time to play this month, but I'm glad you're back and are still working on this yet.

On 11/14/2021 at 5:39 PM, Kharos said:

I actually have only even played like an hour on my new SE setup, so I'll probably start a new SE game with whatever version of the mod you have by the time I can play again and I can tell you how it goes.

As far as my problem was concerned I did only ever notice it on that one companion, but I had many mods that interacted with DDs dynamically like DD strikers and better DD escape mod to help NPCs to struggle out of devices as opposed to just using keys, and a breakable equipment system that was hopefully set up to ignore DD items, so there were many points of failure.

My LE game only ever blew up in that it still loaded up on skyrim and was playable, but fallrim tools save cleaner was unable to open the save games anymore, so cleaning or checking on the health of the save game was impossible, so I moved on to SE.

• 2 weeks later...

Better NPC Support for Devious Devices 0.5 beta 2.7z

Version 0.5 beta 1
- Prevent NPCs with equipped devices from becoming bard audience
- Allow the player to manipulate NPC's panel gags by removing/inserting plug
- Allow the player to lock NPC's DCUR rubber gloves with D-links
- Fix unlocking NPC's DCUR locked rubber gloves (DCUR assumes it is only worn by player)

Version 0.5 beta 2
- Recognize devious plugs, too (they were ignored up to now)
- Some refactoring and additions to ExternalApi.psc

The support for DCUR rubber gloves is set up such that it remains a soft-dependency; DCUR is not required and everything should continue to work fine if it is not installed. There is a MCM option that disables manipulation of devices in case it causes problems.

[Edit: Updated this post with beta 2, it fixes some minor problems.]

Edited by Kharos
1 minute ago, DonQuiWho said:

Thanks!  Nice to see you keep moving this one forward.  Makes a load of difference.  You reckon that this version is still OK for SSE?  TIA etc ....

Probably, I am not aware of any LE specific changes but I am changing a lot of scripts in the mod at the moment. If it takes you time to convert and test then you want to wait a few days until things settle down.

Edited by Kharos