Which Mod Manger Should I Use?

Hi, first timer, I downloaded Vortex and Skryim SE on steam, I downloaded all the mods that i wanted on vortex in the way that it told me. After that skyrim refused to start with any mods enabled nor would it start with the SKSE launcher. I was wondering the there were any clients or tools that would make this easier to pull off.

21 minutes ago, Klethu said:

Hi, first timer, I downloaded Vortex and Skryim SE on steam, I downloaded all the mods that i wanted on vortex in the way that it told me. After that skyrim refused to start with any mods enabled nor would it start with the SKSE launcher. I was wondering the there were any clients or tools that would make this easier to pull off.

While I don't use Vortex, I doubt Vortex is the issue there.

Rule 1 of modding Skyrim (or any other Bethesda game): Get a small number of mods, try them out to make sure the game works and is stable, then get a few more.

Downloading all the things makes troubleshooting nearly impossible and if things go wrong in the game, you will have little idea what is causing the problems.

1 hour ago, Klethu said:

More specifically, to follow up on @Seijin8's point, it is likely that you have done something in adding your mods, like load too many animations, that is actually the cause.

1 hour ago, Klethu said:

I was wondering the there were any clients or tools that would make this easier to pull off.

No Skyrim tool will really think for you (maybe LOOT comes close?^^).

You still have to understand why you install certain mods, what they do, if you got all requirements, if LO is right, Skyrim modding limitations and troubleshooting.

Best you start small and check regularly ingame if your changes actually work.

@Klethu

To add to this make sure your skse version is the right version for your game version. If not than skse won't launch. Also it has been a long time since I did this to the point even I would have to look up how it's done again lol, but make sure you have done what's necessary to enable modding in the ini file.

I think this has been said already, but whatever mod manager you chose to use:

1. you must learn how to use it properly 
  2. you must know about the mods you installing

You can't throw mods into a mod manager and expect things to work, you need to read each mod description, install instructions and so on. You must know why you're installing these mods and what's the proper setup to make them work.

For Vortex in particular I don't know a valid/recent tutorial. But there are videos on youtube about using its most notable features. 

I've tried a few managers an like Mod Organizer 2 (MO2) the most.
Make sure to learn how the major blogins and tools work, SKSE, FNIS, LOOT, BodySlide. Lots of good guides on youtube.
Start by only starting SKSE through the mod manager, make sure it works.
Add just a basic mod, like armor or such and start the game, check that it works.
Then start adding the mods, one or a few at a time. Skeleton and body mods like XPMSE and Caliente are a good place sto start. Read the mod descriptions and meke sure you have requierd mods.
Allways run loot and read the results after installing mods. Run FNIS after installing mods with animations (or allways after adding a mod if you are unsure.)
Don't install or uninstall mods in midgame unless sure they are safe.

There are no real shortcots, you need to go step by step and mod by mod till you learn.

Archived