"File 'aaf.esm' is not active. OR File 'aaf.esp' is not active" NMM error with AAF

I've followed every bit of instruction I could find on this website. I have all the dependencies and file changes to FO4. I am 100% sure I did everything correct. My version of NMM is up-to-date as is everything else. But for some reason, NMM just cannot find that file, and therefore will not install the mod. I have run out of ideas. 

On 6/26/2019 at 6:29 PM, Beleg Maethor said:

But my NMM is fully up to date. Even Mod Organizer which I gave a shot at is up to date and it still didn't work. Is there a better alternative?

But NMM is replaced whit Vortex and should not be used since it have some issues whit ESL format.

1 hour ago, Beleg Maethor said:

Thank you for the advice. I like Vortex, just got it and everything works out EXCEPT FOR AAF. In fact I am getting the SAME ERROR

It is not rocket science. I have loaded and reloaded AAF dozens of time using Vortex. It auto plugs into my mod order and shows up in my plugins as AAF.esm...I load AAF from Nexus and do not use manual download..

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
7 hours ago, Indarello said:

Why not use proper mod manager?

The [AAF Fucking Manual] Up-To-Date Adult oriented setup guide (14/June/2021)  page says Vortex or MO2. I used Vortex because Nexus, which controls my brain, said to. Was that wrong? I've not modded Fallout 4 or played it in years. Pretty please tell me how to fix it. What Mod manager should I be using?  Nexus came up empty on "Proper Mod manager". If PMM is not the name of the Mod manager, what is the proper mod manager? Is the AFF fucking manual wrong to suggest Vortex? It does say install the F4SE manually, and I did that.  Some of the other mods, like the two dick mods, were removed from Nexus but I followed the link to the seedy websites that they were hosted on and got the fat boy one (Atomic Muscle). The AFF FM also says  ZAZ-extended skeleton V4.0 but it links to V3.5. 

Edit: Modding never changes....

Went back into Vortex and uninstalled everything. Then reinstall, in Vortex, ever mod (except the bug/woman animations) in the exact order given in the AFF Fucking Manual. No aff.esm/aff.esp problem this time! Instead, my new problem is that #26 (UAP) Ultimate AFF Patch won't download from LL, and it says that's required. So, I tried  AAF - The One Patch to Rule Them All-40110-1-1-1-1564415365.7z from Nexus. Nope. That has conflicts.

Edited by MrGrey
Fix for aff.esp not active, not sure how it was fixed.

Vortex can be pretty dope if you learn how to use it, you can among others:

• enforce relative load order of certain mods (force one mod to load after another)
  • flag some esp files as"light"
  • force mods onto certain mod indexes (REALLY helpful in Skyrim SE to keep SOS happy)
  • create individual rules per file in case of mod conflicts (like cherry picking which texture to use from each retexture mod)
  • create installation profiles so you don't have to ruin your setup when testing new mods
  • tell it to stick to file changes you made manually (though I had that fuck up the profiles mentioned above)

Despite all the recent Nexus drama I still use Vortex as "proper mod manager" of choice.

Edited by Mauserl
grammar
10 hours ago, MrGrey said:

Edit: Modding never changes....

Went back into Vortex and uninstalled everything. Then reinstall, in Vortex, ever mod (except the bug/woman animations) in the exact order given in the AFF Fucking Manual. No aff.esm/aff.esp problem this time! Instead, my new problem is that #26 (UAP) Ultimate AFF Patch won't download from LL, and it says that's required. So, I tried  AAF - The One Patch to Rule Them All-40110-1-1-1-1564415365.7z from Nexus. Nope. That has conflicts.

Conflicts are to be expected, those mods are supposed to replace files. Look into the manual which mod should overwrite which and then use Vortex to solve those.

It doesn't help there are two ways mods are ordered and both are important to keep track off.

1. Deploy Order: the order in which files are written into the game's Data directory. Later mods will overwrite the data of earlier ones. Vortex will tell you about those conflicts.
  2. Load Order: the order in which game data is loaded to memory by the game engine. Again, later mods will overwrite earlier ones. Vortex will not tell you about conflicts, you have to use FO4Edit or similar tools to inspect conflicts there.

Usually a mod that has conflicts in both ways will also need the same ordering direction for both orders but that might not be true for each and every case. So basically if a manual says overwrite or install after they refer to Deploy Order, if it says load after they refer to Load Order. Load Order can be enforced in the plugins section of Vortex. Just create a new custom rule in the form of "A most load after B" for every Load Order reccomendation of the manual.

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, mini_is_drunk said:

Anyone knows how to fix this this keeps happening on NMM and MO2

Screenshot 2022-07-12 160334.png

You sorta got an answer already in the discord, but to elaborate:

When a mod has a requirement listed, that requirement should always be installed / enabled / deployed (etc) prior to attempting to install the mod (or mods) that require it.  The answer was already in this thread before you posted in it, in the comment above yours.  AAF must be installed and enabled prior to the "Themes" mod being installed, as that mod's installer (FOMOD) is looking for AAF and since it didn't find it it threw an error.

If you are switching to Mod Organizer, you should really use DCU from moddingham to clean up the data folder and then verify files in steam and reinstall F4SE.  DCU will clean out your data folder to resolve the issue of  NMM/Vortex leaving files behind that can fuck up your setup after switching.

But if you are actually trying to use 2 mod managers at the same time, that's not going to work at all.  In that case I would encourage you to just make the switch fully to Mod Organizer.

Edited by Sgt. Marge